Rust & Martin began as a small re-upholstery shop during the height of the depression in 1933. Wayne Rust and Bud Martin began business in a garage. Martin was killed in an accident five years later. Rust purchased his interest and continued the business under its original name. The business expanded to include draperies and curtains and was located at 615 Broadway.
On Christmas Day, 1950, the store burned to the ground. Wayne Rust rebuilt the store at the same location, opening in May 1951. Harry Rust, the oldest son, joined the firm full-time in 1956. He was a graduate of SEMO with a degree in Business Administration. He also has a degree from the New York School of Interior Design and has been a member of the American Institute of Designers ever since. Gary Rust joined the firm in 1957. In 1970, he resigned from the firm to go into politics and subsequently into the newspaper business. James Rust, the youngest son, joined the firm in 1967. He left in 1974 to establish R & M Enterprises, a wholesale distributor for drapery fabrics and the manufacturer of custom draperies.